Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Divergent

I think I'm a bit late to the game with this one, but I have just read Divergent and because it made me so addicted to it, got straight onto Insurgent (which I am halfway through!). It is, pretty great! I am a huge fan of futuristic-dytopia-scifi literature and this fits the bill nicely.

"Those who want power and get it live in terror of losing it. That's why we have to give power to those who do not want it." 

Divergent is set in a post-apocalyptic Chicago where the population is split into factions, each representing a particular virtue that make up a functioning society: Abnegation (the selfless); Candor (the honest); Dauntless (the brave); Amity (the peaceful); and Erudite (the intelligent). One day every year, all sixteen-year-olds must undergo a simulation test in order to select which faction they will align themselves with for the rest of their lives. Beatrice Prior discovers that she is an anomaly; she doesn't fit into a single faction, she is divergent.

The story that follows is action packed, as Beatrice discovers who she is and the truth about her society. There is romance (as all good books have, of course), but what I like is that for once it doesn't take centre-stage. This story revolves around Beatrice's struggle with good and evil, and the realisation that her secret could save the ones she loves and possibly destroy her in the process.

AND THEN the trailer for the movie came out! Shailene Woodley plays Beatrice, and I couldn't have picked a better actress. I have seen her in The Spectacular Now, and she is in the upcoming John Green film-adaption, The Fault in Our Stars.

Check out the trailer below:



0 comments

Posts a comment

 
© Teen
Designed by Blog Thiết Kế
Back to top