Thursday, October 24, 2013

First things first...

Hi!

This is my first blog post so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Bryony and I am a teen fantasy addict. TV shows, movies, novels, you name it, I'm addicted to it. I have spent a while trying to hide this, but no longer! I am proud that I love Teen Wolf - its hilarious! I think the Mortal Instruments series is captivating and so clever! And I can't wait for the next Hunger Games movie, cos y'know, J-Law - total celebrity crush.

On the topic of teen fantasy, I have just finished reading a great new book, The Diviners by Libba Bray. But now I have to wait for the rest of the series to be written - so sad! You should join in my wallowing, and all it takes is reading this book. 

Let me entice you....

Set in 1926 at the height of the flapper trend, seventeen-year-old Evie O'Neill is sent to live with her uncle in New York. She is pos-i-tute-ly thrilled to be heading to the bright lights of the big city! That is until a string of strange occult-based murders pull Evie and her uncle,  the curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult, into the investigation. Evie has a secret that could help with the investigation but it has only brought her into trouble in the past. As more murders occur, other stories and secrets unfold; a young man is caught between two worlds; a chorus girl is running from her past; a museum assistant is hiding a shocking secret; and unknown to all, a dark evil has awakened.

This book is creepy! I don't often get spooked by the books I read, but this one definitely had me hoping for a lighter chapter before I turned the lights out at night. Libba Bray did an amazing job with setting the scene for this book; she has all the 1920's lingo down, the prohibition-era speak-easy culture, and all the club names are fantastic.

I am a total sucker for a book that the author has done research into - it makes for such a great setting and storyline.

Read! And let me know what you think x

Title: The Diviners
Author: Libba Bray
ISBN: 9780316126113
Published: 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown

 - Bryony, Central City Library


0 comments

Posts a comment

 
© Teen
Designed by Blog Thiết Kế
Back to top