Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Recommendation: 'Hourglass' by Myra McEntire


Sparks fly. No, seriously, sparks fly every time Emerson and Michael touch. And I don't mean touch in a dodgy way. I mean something as simple as touching hands. Em can see ghosts from the past, something that started happening to her just before her parents died. When she has a shouting match with a boy in the school cafeteria, who turns out to be a ghost so it looks like she's shouting at nothing/nobody, Em is hospitalised (committed to an asylum, actually) and spends her days medicated.

When the money for her scholarship runs out she has to come home to the South where, now off her medication, she starts seeing things again. After seeing a long line of psychics and con artists, Em's brother brings in Michael, a consultant from Hourglass, who thinks he can help. Where Michael differs from all of the others before him is that's the real thing. He belives that Em's gift is just that, a gift. Not a curse. Not something to be feared. And OH!  The romance between these two makes my girly genes rejoice.

It might seem like it couldn't work but McEntire's novel, this strangely weird and wonderful mix of genres - romance, science fiction, fantasy and paranormal - is not such an impossibility. I hate to use the word 'compelling' in reviews because, well, it's so cliché, but it is! So there. And I like Em's style - she's got, as my gran would say, gumption. She knows what she wants and, although she's somewhat soul tired and world weary, she will take risks to save time and the world. I know! I know! This was my first teen fiction read in ages and, I think, makes me hopeful about everything else teen related I come across for the rest of this year.

Title: Hourglass
Author: Myra McEntire
ISBN: 9781606841440
Published: 2011
Publisher: Egmont USA

 - Tosca, Central City Library

0 comments

Posts a comment

 
© Teen
Designed by Blog Thiết Kế
Back to top