Friday, February 8, 2013

Recommendation: 'Crusher' by Niall Leonard

Crusher by Niall Leonard.

Niall Leonard is a screenwriter who has worked on Wire in the Blood and Monarch of the Glen. He apparently wrote the book in response to a challenge by his wife, and the fact that his wife is EL James, Fifty Shades of Grey, piqued my curiosity enough to get me to read his novel.

Finn, a dyslexic high school drop out with a criminal record, comes home to find his father, an alcoholic out of work actor, brutally bludgeoned to death. He is initially the prime suspect, and sets out to find the person who really is responsible for his father's murder. All the characters in this booked are deeply flawed with few, if any, redeeming features. Finn is continually confronted with deception and treachery by those around him. It is a fast paced novel with plenty of action and unexpected twists in the plot. At one point I found myself wishing I could climb into the book and confront a character over a particularly heinous betrayal. Finn proves to be a resilient protagonist who, by his own efforts is overcoming his circumstances.

I found it a rather depressing read, but it ends with a feeling of hope for the future. Crusher certainly held my interest and I couldn’t put it down until I had finished it. Crusher is Young Adult Fiction but is more suited for a more mature teen. Not for the fainthearted.

~ Lynda, East Coast Bays Library

0 comments

Posts a comment

 
© Teen
Designed by Blog Thiết Kế
Back to top