Sunday, July 17, 2011

Introducing Chris Crutcher

Chris Crutcher: "I do write about the things about which I'm passionate. I work with people who have been savaged for who they are. If they're ever going to make it, they're going to have to learn how to stand up for themselves. That starts with telling the truth as you see it." [from his author profile on Teenreads].

Chris Crutcher doesn’t pull his punches. And he doesn’t mind a bit of a to-do with authority. His books are often banned, challenged, and otherwise censored. His life as a therapist definitely reflects in his writing. But, no matter how terrible the situation – there is hope.

The first Crutcher book I read was Stotan! Now, I can’t swim. And I’m not that sporty. But that doesn’t matter – it is the human story, conveyed and contained within the sports story – that attracts. I’ll always have a soft spot for Stotan! and for Ironman, in which Lion (from Stotan!) features as a teacher. Sarah Byrnes and Moby – I’ll always care for those two. And Chinese handcuffs. But, if I had to nail down a favourite character and book – it would be TJ from Whale talk.

  • Running loose
  • Stotan!
  • Crazy horse electric game
  • Chinese handcuffs
  • Staying fat for Sarah Byrnes (aka The secrets of Sarah Byrnes)
  • Ironman
  • Whale talk. Also available as a downloadable eAudiobook
  • The sledding hill
  • Deadline
  • Angry management: three novellas
  • And his autobiography: King of the mild frontier.

    Not to mention contributions to these collections:

  • Owning it
  • Dear author
  • Time capsule
  • On the fringe
  • Ultimate sports
  • Dirty laundry
  • Guys write for guys read
  • Find out more on his official website.

    Try a Crutcher novel now – and let me know what you think.

    - Annie

    0 comments

    Posts a comment

     
    © Teen
    Designed by Blog Thiết Kế
    Back to top